Thursday, September 24, 2009

Help for dry, dull hair!

Every woman that styles with heat and products knows the damage that it can cost. But did you know that you can easily reverse some of that damage at home, for a minimal cost?

Here's a recipe that I have changed a bit and perfected over the years that can brink a shine back to even the dryest hair!

You will need an avocado, a small can of coconut milk, and oil (about 1 tbs). For the oil I use a blend of carrot seed, pomegranate, cranberry seed and jojoba oil. But if you don't have all those on hand (which I'm pretty sure most people don't) you can use olive oil (the same olive oil that you already use with cooking!) Just a plain avocado will also be very moisturizing.

Stick it all in the blender and mix it up till smooth (you don't want chunks in your hair)

(the color normally is a little fresher but I had it setting out for a while before I thought to get the pic)

Just smear it all over your hair and into your scalp. You can put plastic wrap or a grocery bad over your hair to keep it from dripping.

This recipe made about 1 1/2 cups and I used it all in my hair. (My hair is just below my armpits) You want to use enough to coat all your hair and scalp, I don't that that you can put too much!

Leave it on your hair for about 15 to 20 minutes, just don't let it dry out or it's a little harder to wash out. Then wash your hair like normal. That's it. You may smell like guacamole for a few hours but your hair will love you for it!

And while you're hair bloggin, Don't forget to check out the AWESOME giveaway from Babes in Hair Land!

5 comments:

The Mom @ Babes in Hairland said...

I remember you mentioning something about this back when I posted about the hairspray build up issue at our place. Cool to see the actual "recipe!" Thanks for the shoutout on the giveaway too! Going to have to try this next time instead of the baking soda.

Pam said...

How much of each do you use? I can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting :o)

Maddie GIrl said...

Sorry I left that out Pam. I did correct it in the post.

For the oil you need 1 tbs (about)

I used a whole avocado and a whole 5 oz can of coconut milk. My hair is about to the middle of my back and I used it all.

Crystal said...

How often do you do this? Is it safe enough to do once a week, a month?

Maddie GIrl said...

Crystal, you can use it as often as you need. I do use olive oil in my hair every week, more if I'm using a lot of heat.