Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dry skin care


Ok, I know this isn't exactly hair related but I thought it was worth passing along.

As a kid I had terrible eczema, now my kids have it too. Like most people I sort of outgrew the rashes. I now just get terribly dry patches all over (especially on the back of my shoulder where I can't reach it to put lotion!)

I have recently found a product that is already in most pantries that is a great defense against even my driest skin!

I've been using honey as a facial for the past year now and was recently reading about the benefits of honey on the skin. Not only is honey anit-bacterial and anti-fungal, it also acts as a protective barrier for the skin locking essential moisture in and the contanimants and free-radicals out.

What I do is just take a cup of honey in the shower with me (about 1/4 cup is all you need) after your shower just rub it all over your body. You can be wet or dry, it is pretty hard to rub into dry skin though, rinse off, no need for soap after. You can follow up with lotion if needed.

For the bath, just add about 2 to 3 tbs of hones to the bath water and soak in it. Again, no need to rinse off after.

3 comments:

Cox Family said...

Wow, I'd heard of using honey, but I had no clue I wouldn't need to rinse it off! I'm gonna try it today. Thanks for the tip!

Maddie GIrl said...

Just to be clear, if you put a small amount in the BATH water you don't need to rinse. If you smear it all over you just don't need soap after. (if you do that and don't rinse you'll end up feeling a bit like fly paper all day!)

Dede said...

lol, I didn't read that before I smeared it on...just kidding, I just added some to my bath, thank goodness! Also, thanks for the tip about the free software! I'm going to put it on my blog:-)